Introduction

I feature some views on the Unemployment situation News in the UK. We feature the latest on The U.K Unemployment News. The Youtube channel has a focus on UK Unemployment News with specially selected material

Friday 8 March 2013

Inspiring Job Seekers stories


A63 'I need a job' stunt was desperate Hull man's highway to employment

Trusted article source icon
Friday, May 13, 2011
Profile image for This is HullandEastRiding
WITH no food in the cupboard and minus £9 in the bank, Simon Mewse was a desperate man.
Having struggled to find a job since August, his hunt for employment had become so difficult he knew he had to do something drastic.
  1. Simon Mewse, A63 A-board stunt
    Simon Mewse, armed with a home-made A-board sign walked down the A63 in hope of finding a job.
So armed with a home-made A-board sign around his neck, he set off walking down the A63.
The cardboard and string sign simply read "I need a job".
"I had heard that someone else had tried something similar before and they were picked up by a multi-millionaire and given a job," said Simon, 27, from west Hull.
"So I made the placard myself and then walked down the hard shoulder of the A63.
"I thought I would pull out all the stops.
"It was getting to the point where I couldn't do anything more to get work."
Although it was one of the most unusual job applications, the sign certainly made its point.
Motorists beeped their horns as they passed Mr Mewse on Tuesday afternoon and eventually he was picked up by police.
He said: "I think they wanted to see if I was a lunatic.
"But when they realised I was okay they called a traffic officer who then took me to the JobShop at the BBC centre in Hull.
"The staff at the JobShop were really good and helpful.
"I got registered with them and a day later they said they had some possible leads for me."
Although on the hard shoulder, Mr Mewse was taking a big risk, walking alongside cars travelling at 60mph.
But he said he felt he had no other choice as his situation had become so dire.
The father-of-two had minus £9 in the bank and was due his weekly visit from his 11-month-old daughter Macie-Lea Fullard.
But he said he'd been forced to call Macie-Lea's mother and say she couldn't come round, because there was no food in the cupboards at his home in St George's Road.
His job seekers allowance had been stopped and he was living off his army pension of £73 a month.
Mr Mewse said: "I had a job in a shop in Princes Quay but I was let go in August.
"I was a chef and driver in the army from 2002 to 2005 but I left on a medical discharge because I had a suspected case of narcolepsy.
"It isn't like I haven't been trying to get a job, I had tried everything, and walking along the A63 was the final straw.
"I'm a trained chef and had experience in retail but I was willing to do anything."
But it seems the gamble paid off and Mr Mewse has now been offered a trial at The Omelette restaurant in Albion Street, Hull.
Manager Simone Tambaros says Mr Mewse's crazy stunt proved he was willing to do anything to get a job.
Mr Mewse added: "I feel quite overwhelmed about the whole experience.
"Since people spotted me on Tuesday, they have been coming up to congratulate me.
"I am really excited about the future and hopefully the trial will lead to something permanent."


Read more: http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/A63-stunt-highway-new-job/story-11962453-detail/story.html#ixzz2My8HXPBo 





Read more: http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/A63-stunt-highway-new-job/story-11962453-detail/story.html#ixzz2My7czIbj

Adam searched for work with an innovative


The result of his marketing



No comments:

Post a Comment